For this week’s Ask OMS, we have the definition of the word torus. As a reminder, the purpose of Ask OMS is for you to post your questions related to architecture, and then we’ll provide the answers. Please send us your questions.

Torus is defined as a large convex molding, more or less semicircular in profile, commonly forming the lowest molding of the base of a column, directly above the plinth. It sometimes occurs as one of a pair separated by a scotia and fillets.

The picture below shows a column in which you can see the torus at the base. If you have any questions or suggestions for future Ask OMS topics please let us know. Also check out our portfolio to see what OMS projects have included the torus.


*Image labeled for reuse

Tags: , , , , , ,